Curriculum Vision and Values
We believe that our curriculum is a broad, balanced and creative blend of subjects which enable each individual to develop a range of skills that will equip them for the challenges of the modern world. In planning our curriculum, our intention is to:
- Devise a curriculum that follows National Curriculum guidelines and statutory requirements
- Establish a balance between emphasising the importance to students of a traditional curriculum and the desire to offer them a diverse range of subjects that match their interests and skills
- Encourage students to work towards the new English Baccalaureate standard, invaluable for university applications
- Ensure that the curriculum is accessible to all pupils; that they experience success whilst being stretched and challenged
- Allow appropriate choice through guided learning pathways
- Develop skills relevant for everyday life and the workplace
It is our intention that every learner fulfils their potential. Learning programmes, intervention strategies, appropriate stretch and challenge and a range of extra-curricular learning opportunities are on offer to facilitate the growth of existing skills and the nurturing of new ones.
At Key Stage 3, learners follow exciting, rigorous and challenging programmes of study in:
Modern Foreign Languages (French)
Music & Drama
Moral & Ethics
Students are taught in ability groups in the majority of subjects, ensuring that every child is both challenged and supported in their learning.
Learners continue to study the core subjects of:
English Language and Literature
Combined Science or Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Morals and Ethics.
Pupils also study four additional subjects or ‘options’.
The option subjects include:
Geography, History, French, Business Studies, Computing, Construction, Health & Social Care, Sport, Art, Photography, Drama, Dance, Music, PE, Psychology, Media Studies, Astronomy, Food & Nutrition, Engineering and Design & Technology
Level 2 courses are offered as either GCSE or BTEC qualifications.